What Are The Skills Required To Be A Full Stack Developer
Ever noticed some multi-talented celebrities who can act, sing, write, direct as well as produce? If that celebrity was in the IT world, he or she would surely be a full stack developer.
As you may have guessed by now, a full stack developer is a versatile software engineer. He is fully proficient in front end technology, back end development, API, database, server, the list goes on. In order to become a full-stack developer one needs to have knowledge of how each component functions and the ability to manipulate it accordingly.
So, let us take a look at some of the top skills required to be a full-stack developer-
- Front-end Technology: HTML & CSS are the two most important tools here that act as building blocks for web development. HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language while CSS is short for Cascading Style Sheets. With the help of HTML, web developers add content to their website while they use CSS to make the websites look appealing and personalized. Full-stack developers have to be well versed in both, along with other front-end technologies such as CSS3, Angular & React JS.
- GitHub: Git is an open-source platform for developers that allows them to work seamlessly on both big and small projects. It helps you keep a track of all the changes made over time and any other information related to your application or software. You must be familiar with all the basic Git commands and having a profile on GitHub will help you collaborate with fellow developers.
- Backend Languages: Knowing how to code the back end process is another integral part of full-stack development. There are many back end languages to choose from- PHP, Python, Ruby, SQL, Java, .NET being the popular ones. Naturally, the more backend languages you know, the better. But it is much more advisable to master one particular language and only then go onto the next.
- Database/Web storage: All websites and applications need to have a database where the data can be stored and accessed later if needed. Since the amount of data generated is so huge, full-stack developers must be adept in database storage as well as management. They must have proper knowledge of the relation between database and memory. Also, how to link it with the chosen backend language. They must also know how to use XML and JSON.
Apart from these skills, some other technical skills worth mentioning are NPM, HTTP, Web Architecture, UI/UX Design, and VCS. There are also a few soft skills such as analytical thinking, time management, and desire to learn that will help you go a long way in your career as a full-stack developer.
Another very important aspect that you must decide after becoming a full stack developer is the choice of your software stack. You need to choose one based on your skills, future goals, and job requirements. Some popular stacks are-
- MEAN stack- MongoDB, Express, Angular JS, Node.js
- LAMP stack- Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP
- MERN stack- MongoDB, Express, React, Node.js
- Django stack- Python, Django, MySQL
- Ruby on Rails- Ruby, SQLite, Rails
- LEMP stack- Linux, Nginx, MySQL, PHP
So to sum up, as a full stack developer you will be optimizing and writing both frontend and backend code, debug queries, translate client requirements into reality, look after web infrastructure, and much more.
In this era of digitization where more and more companies are striving to make an online presence, the demand for full-stack developers is booming. Enroll in our Full Stack Development Course to gain both theoretical and practical knowledge in all of the above-mentioned skills.